Frequently Asked Questions

  • In which Visa Centre I can submit my visa application?

    If you are a Russian citizen you may apply in any Finland Visa Application Centre in Russia. There are 40 of them: in Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Kazan, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhniy Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, Krasnodar, Omsk, Perm, Krasnoyarsk, Samara, Ufa, Irkutsk, Kaliningrad, Vladimir, Tula, Ivanovo, Kaluga, Volgograd, Saransk, Belgorod, Ryazan, Tomsk, Kursk, Tyumen, Surgut, Sochi, Lipetsk, Izhevsk, Ulianovsk,Vyborg, Velikiy Novgorod, Vologda, Pskov, Petrozavodsk, Murmansk, Arkhangelsk and Cherepovets. All other country citizens must apply in the area they are registered. The third country applicants can apply for a Schengen visa to Finland Visa Application Centre in Saint Petersburg and regional Visa Centres under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Finland in Saint Petersburg if they are registered in the North West District.

  • Does each family member have to come and apply for a visa personally at the Visa Centre?

    All applicants wishing to apply for a visa should come for submission personally as they will be required to provide their biometric data as per the VIS rules.

    Note: The exception is children under 12, biometric data collection is not required for them.

    The biometric data is valid for the period of 59 months, during which applications can be submitted by one of the adult family members (family bonds have to be confirmed by corresponding documentation): spouse, parents, grandparents, adult children or grandchildren.

    For more information about the biometric data collection please click here

    • documents of permanent residents of North-West Russia can be submitted by their direct relatives with permanent registration in North-West Russia
    • non-permanent residents of North-West Russia have to submit the documents in person.
    • applicants without Russian citizenship submit their documents personally.

    Note: the exception is minor children (under 18 years old) – their documents are always presented by their parents.

  • Is it necessary to fill in an application form for a child if he/she is endorsed in the parent's passport?

    For every applicant (child or adult) it is necessary to complete a separate application form (with a photo) and to provide a complete set of required documents.

  • Do I have to use an application form filled online or may I submit a hand written paper application form as before?

    For applying at the Visa Centre of Finland you can use a paper application form as well, but we recommend using an application form filled online whenever possible. This will facilitate and speed up application handling process in the visa department.

    All applicants applying for a visa at the Consulate General of Finland must have a visa application form filled online.

  • What kind of information should be presented in the consent?

    The consent should contain the following information:

    • the date of signing the consent,
    • parent's/guardian's personal data,
    • visiting countries (all Schengen countries included),
    • the period of travel,
    • parent's/guardian's signature.

    Note that the consent should be notarized and signed not more than 12 months before application submission and it should cover at least the first planned trip.

  • What kind of information should be presented in the accompanying letter from the employer/educational institution?

    The letter from the employer should be executed on corporate letterhead with company identification and contain the following information: applicant's personal data, the date when employment began and confirmation of current employment. It should be certified by a corporate stamp and signature of the official. The letter is valid for one month.

    Students should provide a letter from educational institution confirming their current tuition. This letter must be issued in the current term.

  • Are there any requirements for an invitation?

    Below are the requirements for a business invitation and invitation for family members or friends.

    Business Invitation:
    The business invitation should be executed on corporate letterhead with inviting company identification and contain the following information: applicant's personal data, the period and purpose of the trip. The invitation should be certified by a corporate stamp and signature of the official. 

    Invitation for family members or friends:
    The invitation should provide the following information: personal data of the invited party, the period of stay, contact information of the inviting party, relationship ties, and address in Finland.

  • After getting married I have changed my last name in my internal passport, but not in my foreign passport. Can I apply for a Finnish visa?

    According to Russian legislation an internal passport needs to be changed within one month. If you have already changed your name in internal passport you have to have a foreign passport in the same name when submitting a visa application.

  • Is it possible to complete a visa application with additional documents after its submission?

    To apply for a Schengen visa to Finland the applicant must provide a complete set of required documents at the Visa Centre.
    Additional documents are accepted only if requested by the Consulate General of Finland.

  • Can applicants have their photo taken or get an insurance policy at the Visa Centre?

    There is an automatic photo booth in the Visa Application Hall. Service fee is 4.5 euro.

    You can purchase Insurance Policy of well-known insurance companies at the Visa Centre.
    The insurance fee for the policy is calculated based on the official fees set by the insurance company of your choice. 
    According to the Russian law, each policy is accompanied by the Terms and Conditions and Receipt.

    Please note that Medical Insurance is a mandatory document. We request that you purchase insurance from the Visa Application Center or from an authorized agency. We are unable to guarantee the authenticity of policy purchased from any other sources.

  • Which photo will be used on the visa sticker: the one provided with the visa application or the one taken at the submission of biometric data?

    Both photos may be used for the visa sticker. The decision on which of the photos to use is taken by the Consulate General of Finland.

  • Where and when can Service and Visa fee be paid?

    Service and Visa Fees are paid in rubles right after submitting the documents at the Visa Centre. Credit cards and cash are both accepted.

  • How can I track the status of my application?

    Applicants can track the status of their applications by reaching the call-centre of the Visa Centre, number + 7 (812) 309-40-81 and +7 (812)426-39-42, or by visiting the website of the Visa Center, section "Track your application online". Applicants need to enter the identification number (PEAC-number) as well as applicant’s surname to use the tracking service.

  • What information an applicant should check in the passport after receiving it back?

    Each applicant should immediately verify the data represented in the issued visa: the first and last name, the photo, the period of validity, the number of entries and days.

  • How can I pay a fine received in Finland?

    Information on how to pay parking and police fines, as well as customs duties, can be found on the website of Consulate General of Finland. On the same page you can find details on how to retrieve information about a lost receipt as well.