All citizens of Thailand are required to apply for a visa before entering Finland and/or other countries under the Schengen agreement. Before applying, please ensure you understand your particular ‘purpose of visit’. Schengen visas must be applied for at the respective Embassy of the country of your main destination. Your main destination is the Schengen country where your duration of stay exceeds all others. Due to this, when traveling to more than one Schengen country, you should submit your application to the Embassy representing the country of your main destination. In case of equal stay, you have to submit your application to the Embassy of the Schengen country representing your first country of entry.
See more info about Schengen visas at the website of Finnish Embassy in Bangkok.
The Visa Application Centre accepts applications only for short stay Schengen visas (not exceeding 90 days during 180 days period). Applicants need to visit the Visa Application Centre in person. All applicants applying for a Schengen visa must submit biometric data - ten fingerprints and a photo. The biometric data will be stored in the Visa Information System (VIS), which is an IT system that allows data exchange between the Schengen States.
Who can submit a visa application in Bangkok
The Visa Application Centre of Finland in Bangkok accepts Schengen visa applications from applicants residing in Thailand. Foreign nationals (other than Thai) need to submit a copy of valid residence or work permit for Thailand. Every applicant has to apply for a visa in person.
The German Embassy represents Finland in visa affairs in Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Citizens of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar can submit their visa application at the German Embassy at the respective countries. Document requirements can be found at the German Embassy's website(in Cambodia (website of the German Embassy in Phnom Penh<http://www.phnom-penh.diplo.de/Vertretung/phnompenh/en/Startseite.html>), in Lao PDR (website of the German Embassy in Vientiane<http://www.vientiane.diplo.de/>) and in Myanmar (website of the German Embassy in Yangon<http://www.rangun.diplo.de/>).
Applicants travelling to Estonia
Finland represents Estonia in visa affairs in Thailand. Applicants travelling to Estonia submit their documents at the Visa Centre of Finland in Bangkok. Document requirements are the same as for those travelling to Finland.
Visa application can be submitted three months before the trip, we recommend you to apply at least one month before the planned trip. Please note that all applications are processed individually. The Embassy may request further documentation, information or you may be called for an interview which can prolong the processing time.
The Visa Application Centre takes visa applications with and without an appointment. For groups of 4 applicants or more it is mandatory to book an appointment. Information how to book the appointment can be found here.
|Nationality||Visa fees effective 12 October 2020|
|(in EUR and local currency)|
|Age 12 years and above||EUR 80 (THB 3000)|
|Children, ages 6–11 (unless otherwise stated in the Visa Facilitation Agreement)||EUR 40 (THB 1500)|
|Children, 0 to 5 years old||EUR 0 (THB 0)|
|Schengen visa for citizens, incl. children, ages 6–11, from the countries listed below (the EU has the Visa Facilitation Agreement with these countries):||EUR 35 (THB 1300)|
|- Russian Federation|
|- Cape Verde||EUR 80 (THB 3000)|
Applicants exempted from visa fee:
- Family members of Finnish citizen and EU/EEA/CH–citizen
- Diplomatic and official passport holders
- School pupils, students, post graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
- Researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
|VFS Service fee||740|
*Please note that the service fee is inclusive of VAT
- The applicable visa fees in Thai Baht depend on current exchange rate, which can be changed without any notifications
- The visa fees need to be paid in cash only at the Visa Application Centre.
- Applicants who have exempted from the visa fees need to pay only the service fee.
- The fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The Visa Application Centre offers an optional service at a nominal additional cost. The fees are non-refundable.
- Please click here for more information on the optional service.
Please note that the visa category chosen by the applicant must be based on the purpose of travel to Finland and the decision must be made by the applicant him/herself. An application filled incorrectly and carelessly can cause a refusal of the visa application. The applicant may need to submit additional details. The applicant may be asked to come for an interview at the Embassy.
|HERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BY CLICKING THE PDF-File.
Checklist can be printed and attached to visa application.
|VISITING FAMILY AND FRIENDS Applicants visiting family members or friends legally residing in Finland.||PDF-File|
|TOURIST VISIT Applicants travelling to Finland for leisure, recreation or sightseeing.||PDF-File|
|BUSINESS TRIP Applicants travelling to Finland for official and business purposes (meetings, conferences, trainings, trade fairs etc.).
If you are going to work in Finland you need to obtain a work permit. In that case visit the website of the Finnish Immigration services.
|STUDY, CULTURAL AND SPORT Applicants travelling to Finland to study or for cultural or sport purposes.
Please not that if your studies last more than 3 months, you need a residence permit. More information can be found at the Embassy's website and at the Finnish Immigration Service's website.
|SEASONAL WORK Applicants travelling to Finland for seasonal work. Please contact the visa application center for required documents||PDF-File|
|FAMILY MEMBERS OF A FINNISH CITIZEN (based on provision of Alien Act)
|FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EU, EEA OR CH CITIZEN (who enjoy the rights of free movement)
Dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
To see the visa application photo specifications, please, click here.
Travel Medical Insurance
Each applicant (including children) must have a travel medical insurance. Exceptions are family members of Finnish citizens and EU/EEA/CH citizens, as well as holders of diplomatic and official passports.
Basic requirements for an insurance policy:
- Insurance should cover the entire validity period of the visa and all of the planned days of stay.
- Insurance validity area should cover the whole Schengen area or to be worldwide. No areal restrictions are allowed (for example “Finland, Schengen”).
- The minimum requirement for insurance coverage is 30.000 euros or the equivalent amount in other currency (for example 50.000 US dollars)
- The insurance policy should insure your costs in case of sudden illness or accident and assistance on site, including the costs of medical repatriation to the place of permanent residence of the insured person or the repatriation in case of death.
Original insurance policy needs to be presented during submission; applicant can provide a copy to the application (Embassy does not return documents after application has been processed).
Travel medical insurances can be bought from any European insurance company and from companies from the Common list of recognized Travel Medical Insurance Companies in Thailand. To see the list of accepted insurance companies in Thailand click here.
The estimated processing time for visa applications depends on the purpose of the travel:
Processing time is up to 15 calendar days:
- Visiting family and friends
- Tourist visit
- Study, cultural and sport
Processing time is up to 5 working days:
- Business trip
- Family members of Finnish citizens
- Family members of EU/EEA/CH citizens
Seasonal workers are asked to submit their visa application 3 months prior the departure.
In individual cases and during high season the Embassy can extend the processing time to 45 days if needed.
(Processing time for applications submitted at the Embassy is always 15 calendar days or more if needed.)